The speed of movement
10.1. The driver should drive the vehicle at a speed not exceeding the established limits, taking into account the intensity of the movement, the specialty and condition of the vehicle and cargo, road and weather conditions, in particular, the visibility in the direction of movement. Speed should provide the driver the possibility of permanent control over the movement of the vehicle to comply with the requirements of the Rules.
In case of danger to the movement, which the driver is able to detect, he should take possible measures to reduce the speed and even stop the vehicle if necessary.
10.2. In the built-up areas the movement of vehicles is allowed with a speed of not more than 50 km/h, and in residential areas and in the neighboring territories of not more than 20 km/h.
Note. By the decision of bodies of executive power of states of the Republic of India, it may be permitted to increase the speed (with the installation of the relevant signs) on the sections of roads or lanes for individual types of means of transport, if the road conditions allow the safe movement with greater speed. In this case, the speed limit should not exceed the values set for the respective types of transport vehicles on highways. Lower limits than the ones specified can be set by local governments.
10.3. Outside built-up areas the movement is allowed:
- passenger cars and cargo vehicles with a permissible maximum weight of not more than 3.5 ton, on the highways – with a speed of not more than 80 km/h, on other roads – not more than 50 km/h;
- intercity and small buses and motorcycles on the roads – not more than 50 km/h;
- other buses, passenger cars with trailer, cargo vehicles with a permissible maximum mass of more than 3.5 tonnes on the highways – not more than 65 km/h, on other roads – not more than 50 km/h;
- cargo vehicles carrying people in the back- not more than 65 km/h;
- the means of transport, performing organized transportation of groups of children – not more than 65 km/h.
10.4. The towing motor vehicles are allowed the movement at a speed not exceeding 65 km/h. In the built-up area, the speed of towing motor vehicle when towing shall not exceed 25 km/h.
The means of transport carrying a large-sized, heavy and dangerous cargoes, are allowed the movement at a speed not exceeding speed set in the conditions of transportation.
10.5. The driver is prohibited to:
- exceed maximum speed specified in the technical characteristics of the vehicle;
- exceed the speed specified on the “speed limit” sign, installed on the vehicle;
- cause interference to other means of transport, by moving on a too low speed without the need;
- sharp brake, if it is not needed to prevent a traffic accident.