Traffic lights in India and signals of the traffic controller
6.1. In the traffic lights – traffic signal colors in India are green, yellow and red color.
Depending on the purpose, the signals of the traffic light can be round, in the form of arrows, the silhouette of a pedestrian or bicycle and X-shaped.
Traffic lights with round signals may have one or two additional sections with signals in the form of the green arrows (arrow), which are located at the level of the green round signal.
6.2. Round signals of the traffic light, have the following meanings:
- A GREEN SIGNAL allows the movement;
- GREEN FLASHING SIGNAL allows the movement and informs that the time is about to expire and soon prohibiting signal will be displayed (digital board can be installed for information of the drivers about the time in seconds remaining until the end of the glowing signal);
- YELLOW SIGNAL prohibits the movement, except in the cases, provided in the paragraph 6.14 of the rules, and warns about the upcoming change of the signals;
- YELLOW BLINKING light SIGNAL allows the movement and informs about the presence of unregulated crossing or a pedestrian crossing, warns of the danger;
- The RED SIGNAL, including flashing, prohibit the movement.
The combination of red and yellow signal prohibits the movement and informs about the upcoming turn of the green signal.
6.3. The signals of the traffic light, shown in the form of arrows of red, yellow and green colors, have the same meaning as round signals of the corresponding color, but their effect apply only to the direction (directions) indicated by the arrows. When the arrow allows turning right, it also permits U turn, if this is not prohibited by the respective road sign.
The green arrow in the additional section has the same value. Off (not glowing) signal of additional section means prohibition of movement of traffic in the direction that this section regulates.
6.4. If there is black contour arrow,on the main green signal of a traffic light, it inform drivers of the presence of additional sections of traffic lights and indicates different direction of movement than additional section.
6.5. If the signal of the traffic light is made in the form of a silhouette walking (bicycle), then it applies only to pedestrians (bicycle). The green signal permits, and the red prohibits the movement of pedestrians (bicycle).
For the regulation of bicycle a traffic light with round signals of reduced size may be used, supplemented by a rectangular plate of white color of 200×200 mm size with a picture of the black bicycle.
6.6. To inform the blind pedestrians about the possibility of crossing the roadway, traffic light can be supplemented by a sound signal.
6.7. For the regulation of movement of vehicles on the road lanes, particularly, the direction of movement on which can change to the opposite, reverse traffic lights with a red X-shaped signal and a green signal in the form of arrow pointing downward are used. These signals respectively prohibit or permit the movement on the lane, on which they are located.
The reverse traffic lights may be supplemented by the yellow signal in the form of arrows, tilted diagonally down to the right or to the left, the glowing of which shall inform about the upcoming change of the signal and the need to change over to the lane in which direction the arrow indicates.
Off signals of reverse traffic light, which is located over the lane marked on both sides with markup 1.9 indicates that entry in this lane is prohibited.
6.8. Green signal, located on the railway crossing, enables the movement of vehicles through the crossing. When red and green signal are off, movement is allowed in case of absence of approaching train (locomotives, trolley) in the sight.
6.9. The signals of the traffic controller have the following meaning:
ARMS STRETCHED OUT TO THE SIDES OR OMITTED:
- from the left and the right side tram is allowed to move left, other vehicles straight and left, pedestrians are allowed to cross the road;
- from the chest and back movement of all vehicles and pedestrians is prohibited.
THE LEFT HAND IS EXTENDED FORWARD:
- from the right side tram is allowed to move to the right, other means of transport in all directions;
- from the side of his chest, all the means of transport is allowed to move only to the left;
- from the left side and back the movement of all vehicles is prohibited;
- pedestrians are allowed to cross the roadway behind the traffic controller.
HAND LIFTED UP:
- movement of all vehicles and pedestrians in all directions is prohibited, except for the cases, provided in the paragraph 6.14 of the rules.
Traffic police may give with hand, gestures and other signals that are understandable to the drivers and pedestrians.
For better visibility of the signals the traffic police can use a traffic rod or a disk with a red circle (reflectors).
6.10. The requirement to stop the vehicle is given via the speaker or with a hand gesture aimed at the vehicle. The driver has to stop in the place indicated.
6.11. Additional whistle signal is given to attract the attention of the members of the movement.
6.12. On forbidding signal of a traffic light (except in reverse) , or the traffic controller, drivers must stop before the stop line (sign 6.16), and in the absence of it:
- at the crossroads – before crossing of the road (with account of paragraph 13.7 of the rules), without interfering the pedestrians;
- before the railway crossing, in accordance with paragraph 15.4 of the rules;
- in other places – in front of traffic lights or traffic controller, without interfering with the means of transport and pedestrians, the movement of which is allowed.
6.13. Drivers who on the yellow signal or lifting the hands up can’t stop, without resorting to emergency braking, in places determined by the paragraph 6.12 of the rules, are permitted the further movement.
Pedestrians, who were on the road when signal is given, should leave it, and if it is impossible, stop on the line separating the transport flows of the opposite directions.
6.14. Drivers and pedestrians should fulfill the requirements of the signals and orders of the traffic controller, even if they contradict the traffic lights, or requirements of traffic signs or markings.
In case if the values of the signals of the traffic light contradict the requirements of traffic priority signs, drivers must follow traffic light signals.
6.15. At railway crossings along with a red blinking signal of the traffic light, a sound signal can be given, further informing the members of the movement of the prohibition of the movement through the crossing.
* – Instead of red and yellow arrows, in the same sense round red and yellow signals can be used with black outline of the arrows applied on them.