Parking in front of the station is easy, just keep the reduced distance to the object in front and stop before the obstacle, which cannot be said about reverse parking. Sooner or later, any driver will face this.
Therefore, such a parking skill will be needed whenever there is a need to place the vehicle in a limited area between other vehicles.
Parking in reverse between two cars
First of all, you need to make sure that the mirrors are adjusted and that you can see the zone located behind and on the sides of the vehicle. The inside of the mirror should display the side of the vehicle, and in the rest of the area – the roadway behind the car.
Some drivers lower the left mirror with the regulator so that it can see part of the rear wheel. This is done in cases where a high curb is installed on the edge of the carriageway, in the parking area, and there are fears of damaging the vehicle or the wheel.
There are several basic ways to park in reverse:
In large cities, drivers often leave their cars along the road near the curb one after another. This method of parking is found in places where there are no sites specially equipped for parking and you have to apply the skills of parallel parking.
It is important to understand that in a limited area, parallel parking should be carried out exclusively in reverse, otherwise it is impossible to park the car exactly in a free “pocket”, and this is fraught with an accident.
Scheme of parallel parking in reverse between two cars
The proposed instruction describes the process of parking in reverse on the left side of the roadway.
1. First of all, you need to visually determine for yourself the future place to park the car. To do this, you must slowly move along standing cars in search of free space. The future parking space should be of such size that the distance between the bumpers of the car parked as a result is 50-60 cm. Another way is to visually determine that there is a free space of about 1.5 times the size of your vehicle. Such a margin of distance will allow the driver to maneuver and not interfere with standing cars when leaving the parking area.
2. It is recommended for novice drivers to stop parallel to the vehicle in front, maintaining a side distance of 50-60 cm between the cars. This is in the case when the size of your vehicle is almost equal to the size of the vehicle in front. Else, the rear wheel of your car must be in line with rear bumper of the car in front. At this stage, the car is in position, ready to start the movement backwards.
3. Before you start driving in reverse, it is important to make sure that the rear-view mirror does not have moving cars behind you, and such a maneuver will not be dangerous for other road users.
4. In such a position, the right rear corner of the parked car should be clearly visible in the left side mirror. At this stage, this is the main landmark, which is adjusted by the reverse gear.
5. Now you need to turn the steering wheel to the left and slowly start driving while watching through the left mirror about the side distance between the parked car. This stage is very important, and the final result of parking depends on the correctness of its implementation.
6. It is necessary to move with the steering wheel turned to the left until the rear part of the vehicle goes behind the right rear corner of the parked car in front, and in the right mirror the left headlight of the car standing behind can be seen. Thus, the parked car will take a diagonal position relative to the roadway and standing cars. After that, it is recommended to stop to assess the situation.
7. At the next stage, you need to put the steering wheel in its original position, in which the wheels will be positioned straight and using the mirrors slowly start moving backward until the part of the car parked in front taken as a guideline is visually not visible through the right front corner of the car. Else visually the left mirror of your car is just behind the right tail light of the car in front.
8. Next, you need to rotate the steering wheel all the way to the right, and move until the required position is occupied. If necessary, by moving forward you can correct the position.
Video lesson – how to park in reverse between cars:
This type of parking is often used:
- in the courtyards;
- in the parking lot in front of the supermarket;
- parking lots.
Scheme of perpendicular parking in reverse
Instructions for perpendicular parking with a left turn of the steering wheel:
- We choose the place of the upcoming parking so that the lateral distance between the cars is at least 40-50 cm in total. Otherwise, it will be problematic to open the doors for the driver and passengers of parked vehicles.
- We move perpendicular to the standing cars until we drive a little ahead from the free space. This will be the starting position for the start of the maneuver.
- We stop so that the trunk area is at the level of the rear of the parked car at a distance of 40-50 cm.
- Turning the steering wheel to the extreme left position. Before driving, make sure that the back of the space is free to start maneuvers.
- Focusing on the left side mirror, we begin a slow movement back keeping the initially taken distance between vehicles.
- When the car takes a parallel position relative to other cars, align the steering wheel to its original position and complete the maneuver.
- If the distance to the cars on the one hand turned out more than the other, you can move your position forward and move it straight back.
Video – perpendicular parking between cars: