General responsibilities of the drivers
2.1. The driver of a mechanical transport vehicle shall be obliged to:
2.1.1. To have with self and on request of the police hand over (original documents) to them to check:
- driver’s license as the right of driving the vehicle of the relevant category, and in the event of confiscation, temporary driving permit in accordance with established procedure;
- registration certificate and pollution control checkup certificate of this vehicle, and in the presence of a trailer and the trailer;
- document, confirming the right of possession, or use, or disposition of the vehicle, and in the presence of a trailer and the trailer, in the case of control of vehicle in the absence of its owner;
- in the required cases – vehicle fitness certificate, permit, route sheet, driver or conductor licensed card and the cargo documents, and during the transportation of large-sized, heavy and dangerous cargoes – documents, required for the transport of these goods;
- insurance policy of obligatory third party insurance of the vehicle.
- In the cases, directly stipulated by the current legislation, to have and to handover to the employees of the state transport authority, to check the driver or conductor license card, vehicle fitness certificate, permit, route sheet and commodity-transport documents, and other.
2.1.2. When driving a vehicle equipped with seat belts, be fasten with seat belts and do not carry passengers who are not fastened with seat belts. When driving the motorcycle, wear strapped helmet and do not carry passengers not wearing strapped helmet.
2.2. The driver of a mechanical transport vehicle engaged in international traffic movement, shall be obliged to:
- be in possession of registration documents of the vehicle (when a trailer and the trailer) and driver’s license, and the relevant Conventions of road traffic;
- have on this vehicle (when a trailer and the trailer) registration number and identification symbols of the country in which it is registered.
- Distinctive signs of the country may be placed on the number plates.
The driver, carrying out the international automobile transportation, shall be obliged to stop on request of employees of the state transport authority in specially designated checkpoints (road sign 7.14 ) and submit the vehicle for check, as well as permits and other documents, stipulated by the international treaties of the Republic of India.
2.3. The driver of the vehicle is obliged to:
2.3.1. Check the vehicle before driving and while on the way to ensure the proper technical condition of the vehicle in accordance with the allowance of vehicles to operate.
The prohibition applies in case of failure of the working brake system, power steering, trailer (as part of the vehicle), not functional (missing) headlamps and rear lights in the dark time of the night or in poor visibility conditions, non-working wiper on the driver’s side in the rain or snowfall.
If the driver encounter some other problem in the way, with which the basic provisions prohibit the use of vehicle, the driver must eliminate them, and if this is impossible, then follow to a parking or maintenance place, with the necessary precautions;
2.3.2. At the request of the officers of police or state road transport, pass the examination to determine if in the state of alcoholic intoxication and a medical examination to determine if in the state of other (narcotic) intoxication.
In the relevant cases, also the test for knowledge of the traffic rules and driving skills, as well as medical examination to confirm the ability to drive vehicles.
2.3.3. The right to stop vehicles is provided to the regulators, while in case of trucks and buses, engaged in international road transport, in specially designated (road sign 7.14 ) checkpoints also to employees of the state transport authority.
Employees of the state transport authority should be in uniform and to stop the driver use a disk with a red signal or a reflector. They can use whistle to attract the attention of drivers, in addition to the signal.
Persons entitled to stop the vehicle, are required to present the identity card at the request of the driver.
2.4. In case of road accident the driver, who is involved, is obliged to:
- immediately halt (do not move from the place of accident) a vehicle, turn on hazard (parking) light and put a sign of emergency stop in accordance with the requirements of paragraph 7.2 of the rules, do not move things related to the accident;
- to take measures for the provision of first aid to the victims, to call ambulance, and in the case of an emergency send the victims with a passer-by, and if it is impossible, take on the own vehicle to the nearest medical institution, to report at such institution his full name, the registered number of the vehicle (with the presentation of the document proving the identity, or driver’s license and the registration document of the vehicle) , and to return to the place of the accident.
- release the roadway, if the movement of other vehicles is impossible. If it is necessary to release the carriageway or take the victims to the medical institution, in the vehicle, pre-record in the presence of witnesses position of the vehicle, traces and objects related to the accident, and to take all possible measures for their conservation and organization of the traffic diversion from the place of the accident;
- report the incident to the police, write down the names and addresses of witnesses and wait the arrival of the police.
2.5. If as a result of road accident there are no victims, the drivers by the mutual agreement in the assessment of the circumstances of the incident may, draw scheme of the accident and by mutually signing it, arrive at the nearest post of Police control room or to the police for registration of the incident.
2.5.1. If as a result of a road accident involving two vehicles, both of which have the compulsory third party vehicle insurance, the damage has been caused only to the property and the circumstances of the accident and harm in connection with damage to property, the nature and the list of visible damages of vehicles do not cause disputes among the participants, then the execution of documents of road transport incident can be carried out without the participation of authorized police officers, by filling appropriate forms of notifications about a traffic accident by the drivers involved in road accident, in accordance with the requirements established by the Rules of obligatory third party insurance of vehicles.
2.6. The driver should not:
- operate a vehicle in a state of intoxication (alcohol, drugs or other), under the influence of drugs which impair reaction and attention, in pain or fatigued, that may endanger the safety of traffic;
- to give control of transport to persons, who are in a state of alcoholic intoxication, under the influence of drugs which impair reaction and attention, in painful or fatigued condition, as well as persons, who don’t have a driver’s license for the right of control of the vehicle in this category or – in case of its confiscation in accordance with the established procedure – temporary driving permit, except in cases of driver training in accordance with section 21 of the Rules;
- cross organized (including walking) columns and occupy a place in them;
- consume alcoholic beverages, narcotic, psychotropic or other intoxicating substances after the road accident, in which he is involved, or after the vehicle has been stopped on request of an officer of the police, prior to examination, with a view to establish the state of intoxication or prior to the taking of the decision to release from conducting such an examination;
- operate a vehicle with the violation of the work and rest regime, established by the authorized executive body, and in the case of international road transport – by the international treaties of the Republic of India;
- use phone during movement of the vehicle, even equipped with a technical device, allowing to conduct communication without using the hands.